In 2008 the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force joined with the National Center for Transgender Equality to conduct a survey of transgenders in the US to study how good their life really is. The conclusion of their study found the following:
- Transgenders suffer four times the national average of HIV infections.
- 70% of transgenders misuse drugs and alcohol just to cope with their life.
- Transgenders are twice as likely to be homeless as the general U.S. population.
- Transgenders are twice as likely to be unemployed as the general U.S. population.
- Transgenders live in extreme poverty and are four times more likely to have income under $10,000 a year than the general U.S. population.
- 41% of transgenders report attempting suicide.
No matter what the reasons, transgenders face suffering from poverty, HIV, alcohol and drug abuse, homelessness, unemployment and attempted suicides. This demonstrates a failure in providing effective psychological, psychiatric and substance abuse treatment for transgenders.
I just wonder how they can continue to call a sex change successful. The six items listed above sound like a complete failure in my view.
The good life? Think again.
Is that the life you want?
Reference: Gender Lies and Suicide, Chapter 7